Best of Britain (Winter 2018-19)
Brochure Type: Europe Winter 2018-19
From the home of Shakespeare, to the moors of Scotland and the beautiful Cornish Countryside, this really is the best of all that Britain offers.
Additional Included Highlights
- Stratford: Appreciate the architecture of this pretty town. York: See York Minster, the city walls and the medieval Shambles. Borders: See part of Hadrian's Wall and Jedburgh Abbey ruins. St Andrews: Visit the university town and see the golf course. Pitlochry: Stop in this Victorian resort town, famous for its salmon leap. Loch Ness: Drive along the shores in search of the monster. Glasgow: Enjoy an orientation drive passing the civic buildings and St Mungo's Cathedral
- Lake District: Learn about the life of the poet William Wordsworth and visit his grave in Grasmere. Ludlow: See the walls of the castle and Jacobean buildings
- Cardiff: See the sights on your orientation of the city. Bath: Witness the town's fine Georgian architecture. Scenic Drives: Grampian Mountains, Glencoe, Loch Lomond, English Lake District, Severn Bridge, Welsh Marshes.
- Devon: Savour an unforgettable Celebration Dinner at The Riverford Field Kitchen who believe 'great food tastes even better when you enjoy it with other people'. Join your Travel Director and newfound friends for the ultimate Farm-to-Table dining experience with mouthwatering meals prepared from organic seasonal produce, freshly-picked from the surrounding fields, and of course served with a glass of wine.
- Dining Summary: 8 Buffet Breakfasts (BB), 1 Dinner (D) and 2 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Edinburgh: Walk with a Local Expert within the walls of the majestic castle perched on its rock, to view the Scottish Crown Jewels, Stone of Destiny and Mons Meg.
- Stratford: To see or not to see? Visit the timber-framed building where Shakespeare was born and grew up.
- Grasmere: Learn about the life of the poet William Wordsworth and visit his grave.
- Bath: Visit the ancient Roman Baths with its colonnaded pool filled by natural thermal springs.
- Stonehenge: Visit the mysterious circle of upright stones, which stands as strong today as it did 3,500 years ago.
- Edinburgh: A hush descends and eyes turn to the castle. The skirl of the pipes rises and drums crack the night air as a tide of tunics and tartan flood from the drawbridge. For a limited time in August, witness the incredible spectacle of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- You may purchase transfers from/to London Heathrow and Gatwick airports on arrival and departure days, or when additional night accommodation has been booked through Insight Vacations. Alternatively, please make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (402) 397-6900 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14019567
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 9/30/2018
- 12 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (Please ask about our great deals).|
|Day 2||London||Welcome to London: Welcome to London. After checking into your hotel, the afternoon is free to enjoy a city that is famous for its pomp and pageantry. Perhaps relax with a walk along the Serpentine in Hyde Park or window shop in the elegant boutiques of Knightsbridge? Alternatively, you may want to stroll along the Thames to the iconic Tower Bridge and Tower of London.|
The Grosvenor Hotel, London.
|Day 3||York||London, Stratford-upon-Avon and Medieval York.: At 07:30, meet your Travel Director at The Grosvenor Hotel in London to begin your journey north to Stratford-upon-Avon with its wealth of black and white timber-framed buildings. Discover how William Shakespeare and his incredible works continue to shape society today when you visit his birthplace, full of interesting memorabilia and artefacts relating to his life. Continue to historic York to stroll the narrow lanes of the Tudor Shambles and view York Minster, England's largest medieval cathedral. Later, join your Travel Director for a warm and friendly Welcome Dinner with the opportunity to mingle other over a pleasant evening. (Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 4||Edinburgh||Hadrian's Wall to Edinburgh: See a part of Hadrian's Wall, once spanning 80 miles from coast to coast, marking the northern frontier of the mighty Roman Empire. Continue past Jedburgh Abbey en route to the Scottish capital, Edinburgh for your two-night stay in this stunning city. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, Edinburgh.
|Day 5||Edinburgh||Edinburgh Sightseeing.: In the morning, see the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the official Scottish residence of Her Majesty, the Queen, at the end of the Royal Mile. Continue past the Sir Walter Scott Monument to the 18th century New Town with its neoclassical Adam facades. Join a Local Expert at Edinburgh Castle, home of the Honours of Scotland, to view the Stone of Destiny and Mons Meg. The afternoon is at leisure. In the evening, select departures will attend the spectacular Military Tattoo - a colourful mix of pipes and drums, dance and display, set against the floodlit backdrop of Edinburgh Castle. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, Edinburgh.
|Day 6||Glasgow||Loch Lomond to Glasgow.: Drive via historic Bannockburn and Stirling and enjoy the scenery of the Trossachs. Continue along the Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond, before arriving in Glasgow for an orientation of the city with your Travel Director. See the grand public buildings, including George Square and St. Mungo's Cathedral. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner)|
Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow.
|Day 7||Windermere||The Glorious Lake District.: Travel via Gretna Green to the English Lake District, with scenery so beautiful it inspired a host of writers. Learn about the life of William Wordsworth and visit his grave in the picturesque, stone-built village of Grasmere. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa , Windermere.
|Day 8||Cardiff||The Welsh Marches and Cardiff.: Stop in ancient Ludlow, one of England's most attractive towns, dominated by its castle, rich in tragic royal history. Why not spend time exploring the traditional open-air market, admiring the local crafts and perhaps sampling the produce? Afterwards, cross into southern Wales and head for the capital city of Cardiff for an orientation of the port city, upon the River Taff. See Cardiff Castle and the impressive Principality Stadium. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa.
|Day 9||Saltash||Georgian Bath, Glastonbury and Cornwall.: Cross the Severn Bridge back into England and drive to the Georgian City of Bath, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Built amphitheatre-style on the surrounding hills and above Britain's only thermal, mineral springs, its curative waters have been famous since Roman times. See the 15th century Abbey Church with angels climbing Jacob's Ladder. Visit the Roman Baths to see the incredibly well-preserved remains of one of the greatest spas of the ancient world, still flowing with the natural hot water from the springs below. Continue on to Glastonbury, steeped in legend and reputed to be the final resting place of King Arthur and the Holy Grail. Then head to your fabulous resort in the Cornish countryside. (Buffet Breakfast)|
St. Mellion International Resort, Saltash.
|Day 10||Saltash||The Cornish Coast Experience.: In the morning, visit a quaint Cornish fishing village and continue to Plymouth on the Cornish Coast. Numerous famous voyagers have set off from this ancient port and you will see the Barbican, Citadel, Plymouth Hoe and the Mayflower Steps, from where the Pilgrim Fathers set sail for America. Return via the hilly countryside of Dartmoor, home to wild ponies. For your Celebration Dinner, join your Travel Director and newfound friends for a Farm-to-Table dining experience on the edge of the Dartmoor National Park. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
St. Mellion International Resort, Saltash.
|Day 11||London||Ancient Stonhenge and London.: Travel across Salisbury Plain to visit the pre-historic and mysterious Stonehenge, where the strange and awe-inspiring monoliths are reputed to be up to 5,000 years old. Your journey concludes upon arrival at The Grosvenor Hotel in London. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 12||Homeward Bound||Homeward Bound.: Your journey comes to an end after breakfast. (Buffet Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. This adventure starts and ends at the Grosvenor Hotel in London. Edinburgh Military Tattoo: 30 Jul, 6 Aug, 13 Aug & 20 Aug departures will attend. 23 Dec & 27 Dec departures stay at alternative accommodation of a similar standard in the Lake District. Festive Highlight Dinners: 21 Dec Christmas Day in Edinburgh. 27 Dec New Year's Eve in Lake District.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class